The Glass Ladder Group helps people from different cultures work together more effectively by using strategy, research and training and is passionate about preparing individuals across sectors to develop, thrive and adapt in any culture, leading to organizational, personal and professional advancement. Glass Ladder Group is currently developing an expansion program that will shift its business model.
Bias in hiring process can hurt people, companies and economies.
Provide our client an intuitive and blind application based SAAS platform website that enables their business to provide a hiring system that is bias-lowering and reflective of the users merits.
Meeting business goals are as important as satisfying users' wants and needs. We were looking to address how our design could:
- Create a hiring system that decreases bias while incorporating cultural perspectives, communication styles personality, and work ethics
- Create engaging and entertaining experience for employers and future employees
- Get the user hired at a company where they can have a lasting career
- Create more balance and transparency in hiring process and better employee retention rate by offering greater insight on employee talents (hard skills + Soft skills)
Jessica Kim, Daniel Lee, Jongho Lee
My role in group
- Lead Researcher
- UX/UI designer
- Information Architect
Sketch, InVision, Axure, Illustrator, Photoshop
Success for your company: SMART HIRE SAAS PLATFORM
Step 1: DISCOVERY/RESEARCH
We found two companies, Plum IO and Blendoor, that were similar to our client's business direction, but not direct competitors. Plum IO utilizes personality tests to find the best candidate while Blendoor incorporates blind resumes and focuses on hard skills to find the best candidates for their customers.
We conducted Task Analysis of one of our competitors, Plum, to understand and analyze their business model. Users (employers) invite potential employees to take personality test to make better decision on hiring.
We sent out surveys to both employers and employees. Employers were asked what about work efficiency mattered to them, and employees were asked if they’ve ever left a job and why.
We placed our focus on employers since they are our users. We realized that lean UX is needed to improve hiring process.
- Employers want cohesive work environment, but not willing to have their employees take personality test
- Most employers are skeptical about personality test
- Workplace bias and staff conflicts are some of the top reasons as to why employees would leave a job
Step 2: DEFINE
- Finding an employee that won't leave after a couple of months
- Finding an employee who gets along with the rest of the staff
- Having an easier system in place during hiring to see if the new hires would be a potential fit based personality
- When I hire an employee and then they quit quickly
- Hardest issue is identifying if they are being real or fake
- Find employees that will get along with each other and respect one another
We solicited ideas and consensus about how to organize a body of information for hiring process. We confirmed data acquired during surveys and interviews was being analyzed and categorized. We started having clearer picture of users' needs. Research-backed facts helped us to reinforce some of the more subjective observations we’ve collected from in-person interviews.
With persona, we were able to create feasible scenario for users. In order to publish a job posting, users go through blind resume, personality test, blind-select candidates for review and finally schedule an interview to maximize the possibility of picking the best candidates.
User Flow - In Depth
Our group spent days getting user flow seamless and easy to use and made sure that smart filtering was applied in the right way.
With all the research we conducted, the creation of a SAAS platform for a website allowed us to understand where we are as users, and where the information we want is in relation to our position. Information architecture resulted in the creation of site maps, hierarchies, categorizations, and navigation.
- Personality test and blind resume are much needed to filter qualified candidates
- Small to medium size companies will need our smart hire platform since HR is not their strong department
- Design Studio method for days helped us figure out efficient user flow
Step 3: DESIGN
Low Fidelity Wireframes
Medium Fidelity Wireframes
High Fidelity Prototype
In hiring, our research shows combining hard skills and soft skills is the best way to find the best candidates. Our client provided us the personality test questionnaires which allow users to filter to better candidates for work comparability, longer employee retention rate, better team management.
- Employers (users) want their employees to get along. When they do, it's just naturally good for work productivity
- Small - Medium sized companies were more inclined to utilize the personality tests since they don't have an established HR department
- In hiring, combining hard skills and soft skills with blind application would be the best way to find qualified candidates before in-person interview as the last step for hire
- More user testings on how users might use this SAAS platform, and how the interface can be updated based on their behaviors
- Find out how to best notify users about updates.